Monday, March 17, 2008

Current Medical conditions

Last Tuesday I had a Nerve Conductivity test. Dr. Johnson placed a receptor on my leg, then stuck a needle probe in different parts of my leg. I would feel this nice shock and he would get pulse measurement on his lap top. The nerves on the left side of my leg were strong as ever, but the right side, there was nothing. He determined that the Peranial nerve got trauma close to my knee and the nerve down to my leg died. The actual sheath is OK as determined by the exploratory surgery I had weeks ago. He said it can rejuvenate at a rate of 1 millimeter a day, and my 70% of use may come back. At that rate, by Thanksgiving 2009 it may return and then I can lift my foot. Today Phil came by and made a cast of my right leg so he could make a, AFO or ankle foot orthopedic brace. It has spring in it to restore my lift. This would help with normal foot response for walking.

On Friday I will be able to try 25% weight bearing on my leg. This will increase every week until I can bear full weight. At that point, I will be able to stand 10 minutes so a mold can be made of my left leg. This is used to create a socket for my C-leg. At this time, I could transition to home. Here is a website tha t has some cool video's about the C-Leg.

http://www.ottobockus.com/PRODUCTS/LOWER_LIMB_PROSTHETICS/c-legvideos.asp


The final issue is my left hand ring finger won't extend fully. It received trauma during the rollover accident. I did not discover it until I tried typing on my laptop late February. The therapist here at Aspen Ridge are trying a tape method to help, plus finger exercises with the ring with holes in it . I'd rather try this than another surgery. Seven are enough.

2 comments:

Parrylarious said...

WOW! If it's not one thing, it's another! You sound like you are taking it all in stride. I am a little confused. Are you going home now? Or when you can put full weight on your leg? Hopefully it's sooner than later.

David Watson said...

It will be at least 4 more weeks.